What is Probate?
Probate is the process in the Supreme Court of New South Wales recognising a deceased’s Will, formalising and identifying all assets and liabilities of a deceased and granting an executor the power to deal with the deceased’s assets and pay their bills.
At Rockliffs Lawyers we understand that dealing with the loss of a loved one is one of the more difficult challenges in life. On top of this, to have to deal with the responsibility of administering and dividing your loved one’s estate or assets, can seem a daunting and stressful experience. The last thing you want to focus on when you are dealing with a loss of a loved one is the mountains of paperwork, legal jargon and simmering family disputes that can arise.
Having the right lawyer to guide you through the process can make all the difference to your peace of mind and let you focus on the important things, like grieving the loss of your loved one. Our lawyers are compassionate and can assist executors with the management of their duties and ease the burden of being an executor by guiding you through the process.
What if the deceased left no Will?
If a deceased did not leave a Will, our experienced lawyers can assist you in applying to the Supreme Court for letters of administration. Our lawyers can assist you and advise you through the process including identifying the person or persons who are entitled to seek letters of administration, preparing and undertaking the necessary legal work in obtaining letters of administration and thereafter administering an estate.
The service offered by our Sydney based lawyers does not end once probate or letters of administration have been granted. We can also assist in administering the estate including communicating with financial institutions, transferring ownership of property and shares and communicating with life insurance or superannuation firms thereby easing the stress during the difficult time.
Our lawyers will work with you quickly and compassionately to ensure the process is cost-effective and efficient.
How can we help with your Probate, Administration and Estate Disputes?
At Rockliffs Lawyers, our experienced and efficient Probate and Estate Lawyers can help you with:
- Interpreting the Will of the deceased in terms of applicable laws, including the Succession Act.
- Advising executors and trustees in regard to their duties and rights
- Informing government bodies including Centrelink and Veterans Affairs
- Applying for Probate of the Will in the Supreme Court
- Dealing with intestacy (where there is no Will)
- Applying for Letters of Administration (if the Will is deemed invalid or is absent)
- Identifying estate assets and liabilities
- Obtaining valuations of estate property
- Collecting estate financial assets including superannuation, bank funds, shares, outstanding loans, and insurance payouts
- Selling or transferring estate property including estate auctions
- Paying estate debts including mortgages, funeral costs, and testamentary expenses
- Advising in regard to family and testamentary trusts
- Administering trust funds
- Distributing bequests and inheritances to beneficiaries
- Organising information for estate tax returns
- Family mediation and negotiation
- Contesting wills and defending estate litigation in the Supreme Court
Contact us to find out more about the range of probate, estate administration or estates disputes services, or to arrange an appointment with an experienced Probate lawyer in Sydney CBD.